Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Day 1 - Candida Cleanse Chronicles

Well today is Day 1. Yesterday I had my last bit of dark chocolate and now I will be chocolate free for 30 days...someone help me!! I've been without caffeine now for 5 days and I feel pretty good. I just miss the ritual of my morning Yerba Mate..so I have resorted to just plain herbal tea which doesn't feel as fun...but it's all in my mind. Gosh the mind is POWERFUL! When we let it run us, it can run us into the ground and we can make all kinds of crazy decisions. Digging deep down is where the strength comes from..not from that devilish little voice that wants us to FAIL..and FAIL big!!!

So anyway enough MIND talk... part of yesterday was spent making the long grocery list of all the food that I am going to cook this week for the cleanse. The thing about doing a cleanse is that you need to be prepared; mentally, physically and spiritually. So I have been reading a lot and although I have done this cleanse before, it's been a couple years, so I needed a refresher course on what it was exactly that I couldn't put in my mouth....no FRUIT...oh NO! I remembered that part..that was the hardest. And I cringe when I think about it...but I know I am doing myself a world of good and I will feel so much better..and it's only for a month..so here we go!

Daniel and I hit up Whole Foods at the 9pm hour when the store was a little sleepy..just the way I like it. Daniel was a little cranky after his 1st day without caffeine and who can blame him...I just went through the same thing a few days ago...boy the headache was killer! Anyway, we hit up the aisles, working as a team, and got all the fresh produce along with some whole grains; Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah), which is a perfect protein all on it's own, Buckwheat (which does not contain wheat, even though it's in the name), short grain brown rice and some millet. Yes, millet is what they use to feed birds..in other words, BIRD SEED. But this divine little grain is so yummy, especially in the morning with Agave nectar and cinnamon...but since I can't have Agave nectar, Stevia will have to do!! It's also high in minerals and protein!!

After I finish this blog, I am hitting the kitchen to start the cooking extravaganza. Here is what is on the menu for this week: Creamy Cauliflower Carrot Soup, Herb & Veggie Burgers, Quinoa Salad, Sweet & Sour Cabbage, Homemade Salsa and a Sesame Tahini Ginger Sauce. Daniel needs his sauce..he's a sauce addict! Of course I will have a couple containers of fresh cooked grains and sauteed veggies standing by for when we are having a snack attack! Like I said, it's good to be prepared on a cleanse, as you can't just grab anything that's sitting around because it may not be allowed on the "diet". It's all about commitment, preparation and a positive mental attitude.

As I write this, the only thing on my mind is biting into a chewy, delicious Greens + High Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar...OH how I miss them..and it's only been 1 day! UGH!

So, enough for today...I will let you know how the food turns out. It will be interesting to see what Daniel thinks. He made reservations for 5:30pm here at Casa Haastello and we have the Mariachi band playing outside (our neighbors), so it should make for an interesting meal! 2 irritated people on a cleanse with LOUD Blaring music outside the window should make for a very romantic setting!

Tomorrow I will post the list of foods you can and can't have on this cleanse in case anyone wants to jump on our train...come on, it's fun to do it with more than one....

Cleansingly yours...and secretly craving chocolate...

3 comments:

  1. You always inspire me!! Good luck on your cleans, you can do it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Missy & Daniel! Woo Hoo...you can do it!!! :)

    Looking forward to hearing all about Day 2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck missy!! you are such an inspiration- i give you extra credit for doing the cleanse when certain fruit is at it's peak season- that's so hard!! i know you are awesome enough to tackle it all the way through! i might have to give it a shot in the fall! so cool stevia has protein in it, i did not know that- i might swtich some agave for stevia for that little fact alone now! =)

    ReplyDelete