Thursday, August 13, 2009

All We Do is Talk About Food

Yesterday actually proved to be quite a challenging day, craving-wise. I really wanted coffee for some reason, and I don't even normally drink coffee. Yerba Mate' is my "cup of tea". But the thought of a yummy, creamy latte with Almond Milk was swirling through my brain and on my tastebuds. Did you know that coffee is one of my favorite smells in the world, along with the smell of the sea? Coffee has always been the hardest thing for me not to indulge in. I can give up sugar (except for fruit) any day of the week, but coffee has been a life-long battle. The aroma just gets me..and I just think about sittting at a coffee shop, people watching and letting the day cruise by while I sip on my Agave-sweetened, Almond Milk latte. Yes, you can get an agave sweetened latte here in LA. How cool is that?

Anyway, after I got past the coffee cravings...well, they didn't really pass, but I set my mind right, I decided to have some Tuna for lunch with a homemade coleslaw that I made dressed with Raw Almond Mayo! It was a great lunch, but man, the Tuna did not agree with me. OK, I am a vegetarian. I have been one for years, but I figured that I had to try and eat some fish on this cleanse to get my protein, since I can't eat beans. Well, I am DONE with the Tuna. I had serious heartburn all day long and I haven't had heartburn in years. I combined my food properly. No animal protein and grains together, so I ate vegetables and animal protein...proper food combining. I thought I would be fine, but I was tortured all day long by a deep nagging pain in my belly and chest.

When Daniel got home from work I started to make some soup for us to have for the week. Yes, I made the Cauliflower soup again with Dill and carrots. It's a good staple to have around. I also made Parsnip "Fries", which were really tasty, yet interesting. I drizzled some olive oil on them and added sea salt and a Chili powder blend. I cooked them on a pan in the oven and they came out just like fries..sans crispiness, but they were still good!

Daniel helped cut up all the brussel sprouts and shallots for the next dish. Lemony Roasted Brussel Sprouts. He's so helpful in the kitchen, and I love that he wants to help me cook. It's so fun to do together and it takes an enormous amount of pressure off of me. There was a time when I wouldn't allow anyone in the kitchen to help me, but I am over that!!!

So here is what we had for dinner last night:
Quinoa
Roasted Lemony Brussel Sprouts with Shallots
Parsnip Fries
&
Huge Green Salad w/ Cucumber, Avocado and Rosemary vinaigrette.

It was divine, and I was stuffed. I still felt full from that Damn tuna I ate earlier in the day, but I knew I needed to eat dinner or I would wake up at 3am with Hunger Pangs from you know where! Anyway, after we ate dinner we were just relaxing and talking about food and what we have been craving as well as what we want to eat when we are done cleansing. Both of us realize that we can't jump right back in to eating Gluten Free/Dairy Free pizza or Brown Rice Pasta or even our favorite Tempeh Tacos from Native Foods, but we were daydreaming and talking about all the things we want and miss from doing this cleanse.

Daniel has been craving donuts, Gyro's (those middle eastern type wraps made with Lamb), See's Candies, the Ceasar croutons from Leaf ( a delectable raw food restaurant here in LA), red bulls, coffee, his mom's cream cheese clam dip (YUCK!), cream cheese & salsa with chips, hot sauce...those are just a few! I have been craving those Damn protein bars and missing my daily dark chocolate fix, which most of the time is RAW Chocolate and not so bad for you. I also miss the coconut ice cream topped with grain sweetened chocolate chips. I have been eating "clean" for so long that I am craving the "healthy" versions of the "bad" stuff. I remember the first time I did the cleanse, I wanted to eat everything in sight; cupcakes, cake, cookies, anything loaded with sugar, which I never normally ate anyway. It's funny what the mind can do to you and if all the tastes of the tongue aren't satisfied, we will crave that taste until we get it.

As we discussed food, we wrote a list of all the healthier restaurants we will go to after our cleanse. I must say it's detrimental to our well-being to go out to dinner while on a cleanse...there are just too many temptations. Leaf will be our first stop. I really miss the Ceasar Salad there, not just the croutons. Daniel wants to check out this Persian place down the street and I want to hit up Akasha in Culver City, which actually has Quinoa on the menu! I feel so blessed that we live in LA and have so many great options for healthy food!

Nonetheless, all we do is think and talk about food. It runs our lives right now..but it runs our lives always. I used to hate thinking about food and it was just something that I "had" to do...eat! But that was part of my eating disorder and not wanting to eat because I might get fat. And now, I am a vegetarian chef and I educate others how to eat healthy and change their lives. So, yes, food is my main focus and I love it! I love being creative and figuring out new ways to cook healthier versions of their less healthy counterparts.

So, we ended the day with my bright idea of making whipped cream from RAW cream, which is allowed in moderation on this cleanse. Raw dairy products are much more nutritious for the body and do not wreak havoc on the system like processed, pasteurized dairy products do. So, I managed to whip up the most delectable whipped cream sweetend with Chocolate Stevia and we ate a cup full. After that I was so sick...I couldn't even stand up. I realized that my body does not like Animal products and that I can get crazy with my cravings and trying to figure out what I can eat that is sweet & creamy on this cleanse. I just end up feeling remorseful and sick! So, I learned a big lesson last night and I know I don't need to indulge like that and that my body feels so much better and healthier when I put simple, plant-based foods into it!

By the way, i just started reading "The China Study" and it's an amazing book about thousands of studies that have been done on protein and the plant-based diet. I highly recommend reading it! It will change the way you think about food, meat and being/becoming a vegetarian.

Check out my blog tomorrow for the Almond Mayo recipe!!! it's great as a dip or to use in salads!!!

Most dedicatedly yours,
the Ambivalent Cleanser

1 comment:

  1. T. Colin Campbell spoke at Integrative Nutrition the weekend before my graduation weekend- the studies were fascinating & I agree "The China Study" can make someone think more about becoming veg- it certaining was a factor for me!

    Before I go out to Cali on my next trip, I am going to e-mail you & ask for a list of all the great raw & veg restaurants =)


    keep up the great work on the cleanse!

    ReplyDelete