Monday, August 3, 2009

AM I CRAZY?? Time to kill the yeast

Well, I recently went to the Doctor to get my annual check up and I had some blood work done to be certain all my systems were in check! As a vegetarian, I wanted to make sure my cholesterol, my protein, my iron, all of my nutritional systems were running up to par. Well, everything checked out perfectly, except one thing...My body is riddled with Candida..or YEAST, to be exact.

Candida is ever present in the body and everyone has it, but it often lays dormant and doesn't cause too many problems if you take really good care of yourself. But lately, as much as I hate to admit it, I've been lacking in the "good night's sleep" department, skimping on the yoga and honestly, just not taking the best care of myself outside of my eating! When we don't take care of ourselves and the Candida decides to invade the body it can cause a whole slew of problems; digestive issues, bloating, fatigue, weight gain, bad memory, spaciness, skin problems, eczema, bad breath, body odor, sugar cravings, athlete's foot, yeast infections...and the list goes on and on.

Being healthy isn't just about exercise and eating good. It's about your emotional, physical, spiritual and mental state too. I notice that when I let any one of these things get out of balance, that I suffer. Sometimes it's a challenge to keep it all in balance. I take every step I can to make sure that what I put in my mouth is clean, clean, clean. But sometimes I feel like I can get away with not sleeping enough, exercising, breathing deep, meditating, writing; anything that nourishes my soul and helps me to feel balanced and happy.

So, needless to say, I made a decision to do a Candida Cleanse and I am not jumping up and down about it. Some of you may know that I have suffered from a mild eating disorder most of my life and have taken many steps to tame this "monster" that lives inside of me. Lately the monster has been quiet and my weight has normalized and I feel good. I don't torture myself about what I put in my mouth, even though what I put in my mouth is really healthy! I don't torture myself about feeling or looking fat. I don't compare myself to others. But let me tell you, when the monster rears it's ugly head, he rules my every thought, action and deed.

About two years ago I did this same exact cleanse and it was the most challenging thing I ever did. I wasn't even sure if I actually had candida, but I had a few friends who did the cleanse and they had boundless energy, clear skin, didn't need much sleep and just felt really good and happy doing this cleanse. I wanted what they had. What I didn't account for was my "issue" with food and the never-ending conversation in my head about deprivation.

Depriving myself is NOT what I need to be doing. Especially since I am such a clean eater already and deprivation has been a way of life for me. But depriving myself of fresh strawberries, cherries, agave nectar, mushrooms, eggplants, tomatoes, yerba mate; foods that are good for me, yet are feeding my candida and making me sicker in a sense, did not bode well with this Health Addict Virgo.

I know that I need to do this cleanse for a healthier me. And I also know that this time will be different; and the reason I know is because I have support. Someone to walk through the fire with me and support me on my journey. Daniel (my other half) and I are going to walk this path together, and I must say that it feels a lot less scary to deprive myself when I know I am being loved through it all. When I know I have someone to cry to, or whine to, or just hug when I am feeling low, or feeling like I can't make it through.

Having a partner or friend in anything we do in life is important. Whether it's a cleanse, working out, going to a movie or whatever. We are human beings and we need support. We were built to be in community and to support one another on this journey in life. we weren't built to do it all alone!!!

So, for any of you that are considering doing a cleanse; two words of advice: get support! If you want to know more about this cleanse and learn more about Candida feel free to email me! You can also find out more by visiting Donna Gates' web site http://www.bodyecologydiet.com/. She is one of the top advisors on Candida and her book is amazing!!!

Here's to Happy Cleansing! check out my blog tomorrow for DAY 1 of Greens Plus Protein Bar Free Day!!!
PS ~ I already gave up the Yerba Mate' 3 days ago, and although I am tired and headachy from giving up the caffeine, I already feel better physically! I think Daniel might have a bit of a harder time...It's my duty in life to get him off the RED BULL!!!
PEACE & WELLNESS

1 comment:

  1. Hiya Missy,
    Really interesting blog entry and journey you are on. I was wondering if I might use your blog entry as a topic of discussion for a therapy group I run at an eating disorder clinic here in NZ?
    I wouldn't mention your name - just the content of the blog entry in relation to food choices, diets, cleansing diets and dealing with an eating disorder.
    I understand if you are not comfortable with this. Thanks and good luck! xx
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete