Saturday, May 2, 2009

CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR BODY, CHANGE YOUR LIFE!

I shared this blog in my most recent newsletter, but for those of you who don't get the newsletter, you can read it here!

ENJOY!

Change Your Mind, Change Your Body, Change Your Life:

This powerful phrase, quoted by my favorite spin teacher and friend, John Scarangello, owner of Kinetic Cycling, during a spin class I was in last Friday really hit home for me. It's 9 simple words, but the power behind these words were paramount.

For years I have suffered from a mild eating disorder, in that whenever I ate something I would think, "This is going to make me fat". Even if it was a piece of fruit. This thought process came to me a child after seeing all the perfect models and their perfect bodies on the pages of glossy magazines. I thought I needed to look like them for people to like me. I thought I needed to be super skinny for people to like me. Luckly due to good genetics and being active consistently, I have never been overweight in all my life, but the way I thought about my weight made me feel like I was 400 pounds.I was never happy with the way I looked or the way I felt in my body. I would say negative things to myself and starve myself in hopes that someone would notice that I had the perfect body.

Now that I am 40, I have come to a place of acceptance. Yes, there are still times when I think that I am fat or I could tone up here and there, but these thoughts do not occupy my mind like they once did. Guess why? I made a choice to change my mind about how I thought about myself! I made a choice to talk nice to myself. I made a choice to exercise and eat right which makes me feel better about myself!!

Think about the power of our mind and how strong it is. What we think can literally come to fruition if we focus on it enough. Maybe I would have become severely overweight if I hadn't decided to change my mind about food and how I felt about myself. All it takes is a choice..a choice you get to make!!! Once you change your mind, everything else changes.

Another one of my favorite quotes by inspirational author and speaker, Wayne Dyer; "Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change" has the same meaning. If we all just made a decision to eat right, exercise 5-6 days a week and think positively instead of negatively, our lives would be different, our lives would change. We would feel better, look better and be happier.

If you struggle with putting healthy food in your mouth, or exercising on a consistent basis, know that you are the one that has the power to change it. Make the decision today to take a baby step toward change. Choose it, Make it happen and enroll people to help you! You will start to notice that your whole world looks and feels different and that is the power of 9 little words!

Thanks John!!!

To check out Kinetic Cycling and John's spin classes, visit his site at www.kineticcycling.com

1 comment:

  1. Melissa-I have enjoyed reading your blog. Rich and I and the kids are also moving into more and more healthy living. I wanted to make sure you connected with him. Have you seen his site? http://www.richroll.com He has been on CNN and voted in the top 25 fittest men in the world by Men's health and fitness. He is doing endurance races on a plant based diet. We are working together doing workshops and Vegan meals at the house. Also, I have for the first time noticed increase yeast in my system. I drink a glass of clean water with two tablespoons apple cider vinegar every morning which seems to help. Keep in touch with us and thanks for sharing your story, Big love, J

    ReplyDelete